Tobacco & Oral Health
Tobacco & Oral Health
Tobacco in any form is injurious to health. The effects of tobacco on oral cavity are multiple, ranging in severity. Some of the most common effects of tobacco on oral health are
- Staining of teeth
- Bleeding Gums
- Loosening of teeth
- Bad odour
- Dryness of mouth
- White or red patches on the inner side of cheek, on the tongue, on the palate and / or gums
- Reduced mouth opening
- Mouth ulcers
- Oral Cancer
Why is it important to quit?
- Irrespective of the form of tobacco consumed, it is important to understand that consumption of tobacco leads to life threating effects.
- Quitting tobacco is a possible task which can be done with the help of some assistance from any health care provider.
- The easiest tips for staying away from all sorts of tobacco products are as follows
- Drink Water
- Deep Breathe
- Divert the mind from tobacco
- The health benefits of quitting tobacco use are immediate and rewarding.
- The changes which occur in the mouth begin to reverse substantially
- Cleaning of teeth can be done to remove tobacco stains. In addition, medical management of the white / red patches and ulcers will be done upon consultation with a dentist.
- There are certain medications which are meant to assist the tobacco users in overcoming craving/ addiction.
- These, if consumed in the prescribed dose will help individuals lead a healthy, tobacco-free life.
- The government also has a widely accessible quit line number on all the tobacco packages.
- Individuals may access the tobacco cessation services nation wide through this help line number 1800-11-2356.
- A mobile service for quitting tobacco is available in the form of mCessation..
- It is important to remember that one should never start tobacco use and once initiated, one should quit all forms of tobacco and never switch from one form of tobacco to another in an attempt to address fall back or due to lack of redressal of the craving.
Want to Know More?
At e-DantSeva we are always available to answer any questions you have about your dental health and the choices that are available to address specific conditions. If you have any questions involving your dental health feel free to write to us at nohpindia[at]gmail[dot]com
For website technical support or any problem regarding the website kindly write to us at edantsevanohp[at]gmail[dot]com